There are two ways to initiate a new time allocation (resource scheduling) dialog:
- Click the +NEW ALLOCATION button and specify all details
- Click inside the table to see employees who have already been populated in a dialog
There are 3 types of time allocation that are good for different cases:
- Per Day—an allocation within a particular date, which can be duplicated in each day of the selected time range.
- Schedule—weekly time distribution, which can be duplicated in the selected time range.
- Total—an allocation with the number of total hours, start date, and end date that distributed by days evenly.
For all 3 types, specifying an employee, a project, and a task is necessary:
If you want to have Task granularity in reporting for an allocation, determine the task. Otherwise, you can select the root task of a project (name of the root task is equal to the name of the project) but you need to first have Allow time entry and allocations in project root tasks setting enabled in Settings of your organization. Within a root task time, an associated calculation will be tight to the selected project directly.
For example, here is how to schedule Andrew for 2 days part-time on a project:
In a more complex situation, you might need to schedule 2 days a week for 4 hours and the rest of the week 1 hour for support. In that case, use the schedule type of allocation:
Sometimes you might need to schedule 24 hours to a task for a week without any specific distribution by days. In that case, use the total type of allocation: